Amgen is seeking a Director of Technology Strategy and Innovation that will function as a Product Innovation Lead at its main headquarters in Thousand Oaks, CA. The Product Innovation Lead serves as the critical link and interface to the product and brand teams, with a focus on problem and needs identification along the customer (patient, physician, and/or payer) journey and identification of potential technology solutions.
This position will report to the Executive Director Digital Health and will be responsible for driving Amgen’s portfolio-level view of key technologies in support of its medicines. This role reports into Digital Health but has an enterprise-level technology responsibility (including novel drug delivery devices, drug, formulations, diagnostics, and digital health) to help product teams identify challenges and potential technology solutions to improve the value of Amgen’s medicines to patients and to the healthcare system.
- Serve as the primary point-of-contact and “thought partner” for the rest of the organization to support problem identification, generate ideas, and identify potential technology solutions. This can include:
- Manage communication with Product Teams and US Brand Teams and liase with ex-US brand teams
- Facilitate ideation sessions and help product / brand teams understand the technology opportunities
- Manage any additional work needed to refine solution hypotheses before they are ready for preliminary assessment
- Serve one or more Global Product General Manager’s as a technology expert, to help capture all internal innovation projects and facilitate the rapid sharing of best practices around the world
- Contribute to development of an integrated technology strategy
- Serve as the critical resource and subject matter expert in the discovery, evaluation and selection of innovative technologies
- Work closely with Technology Hub Prospectors, Venture Capital Firms, and internal Technology Groups across the portfolio to discover, evaluate, and select innovative technologies
Travel: International and domestic travel up to 20% may be essential.
Doctorate degree and 4 years of technology, strategy, product management, or innovation experience
Master’s degree and 8 years of technology, strategy, product management, or innovation experience
Bachelor’s degree and 10 years of technology, strategy, product management, or innovation experience
4 years of managerial experience directly managing people and/or leadership experience leading teams, projects, programs or directing the allocation of resources
- Strong capabilities in project management and problem solving, with a deep understanding of the technology and biopharma sectors
- Well-developed communication and leadership skills, to ensure that assessment teams are staying on track and navigating roadblocks
- Broad familiarity across functional areas, including regulatory, marketing, and clinical